Relish

Relish

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Pattern party

Living in the Middle East has been a lovely experience for the past 10 years. It has its ups and down like any other place I guess but I've been pretty content with my life here in Dubai I must say.

Actually, as I've mentioned in the past, it's quite a sewing paradise! I don't know any other place in the world (and believe me, I've been to many!) with as many fabric and sewing shops in the world. There is such a wide selection of fabrics and haberdashery, mostly coming from India and the prices are incredibly cheap.

It's not always easy to get your hands on nice patterns though. Kinokuniya has a big selection of Japanese pattern books but apart from that it's quite hard to get your hands on sewing patterns. 
You can order them but it takes about 2-3 weeks to arrive and it usually costs you about twice the price you pay back home.

Needless to say how excited I was last week when I received an envelope with my order of patterns...
 










Colette's Clover trousers and Peony dress. Like many fellow vintage loving sewers I'm a great Colette fan. And I love dresses... The Peony dress looks very me so I can't wait to start on that one. The Clover trousers I chose because I've never made any trousers yet. I usually prefer wearing skirts and dresses for some reason and it's probably also the fear of the unknown that usually draws me away from trousers. I'm excited tough to give them a try!
















I'm embarrassed  to admit that after all the stuff I've made myself I've never tried anything for my husband yet... I was going to make him something for Christmas this year however. That was until my sewing machine gave up... A new one is on the way so hopefully he will soon be glowing in a brand new Colette Negroni shirt!

Last but not least. I found this photo of a Marc Jacobs top which has been hanging on my mood board for the past 12 months. I really wanted to make something similar. When I spotted Sewaholic's Pendrell top I got really excited. It actually looks very similar and I reckon that with a few minor changes I can make it look pretty much the same!


To be continued...

3 comments:

  1. Hi Natty. I came to your blog through your comment on red lipstick from coletterie.com ;) Seems like Colette sewing book and patterns travel around the world! Since it takes so long for you to receive patterns via post, I would definitely recommend you to buy printable patterns! burdastyle.com & simplicity.com offer wide range of printable patterns. One click and you can start sewing on the same day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Inna! Thank you very much for the recommendation. I do download quite a few patterns already from both sites... Luckily I also still travel a lot and usually do manage to get hold of the patterns one way or another...

    Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe =) It was silly enough to presume that you did not know those sites . Love your metallic gray Utopia top and light green scarf top ;) Happy sewing to you too!.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...